What else should I talk about here? haha. It's been awhile since I just sat and typed for the heck of it. I miss that. Oh I finally transferred my pics, from my phone to the computer last night (well, it had been like a week long ordeal because there were so many and it took forever). And now I have them all sorted and have about 20 posts in draft mode because I want and need to play catchup from the last 6 months. ugh. Not looking forward to that, but #worthit.....i know that may sound crazy. like, why do I care to post so much? But I do, and who cares anyways right?
I feel I need to do a post on just the kids growth too. Man! I'm so behind! gaaaaa. They each have grown a ton in different ways, and I need to record their funny quirks and things they are doing and saying here (i write them down in my phone's notes section when they happen).
(pics taken by: Sara Leavitt Photography)
Oh! A quick church calling update: I went from being on the RS activity board to being the first counselor in Primary! I've been in primary before, and I've been in the presidency before(secretary and second counselor), but for some reason I totally was dreading this new calling. I know that may sound horrible to say but it's true! I was dreading it. I never say no to a calling, but in the moment I got asked I legit had a second where I wanted to say noooooooo. Which I've never felt that way before!!!! I feel horrible writing that out. haha. Don't get me wrong, Kevin and I enjoy subbing and helping out, but we had gotten to the point where we were being asked to sub every week and I was HIDING-yes legit hiding out-so that I wouldn't get asked to sub again. BUT (and that's a giant but) it's funny how the thing that you may start out dreading is the thing you need most and end up loving. I knew I had been slacking in the spiritual side of things (lack of scripture reading, not being consistent in my nightly prayers), and this calling was a good kick to my bum to get back on track. I love being in primary with all the kids! Kids are just so dang special and wonderful and I love being able to talk to them each week. I used to think that my "dream calling" was in YW, but now I am thinking that I love being right here with these little guys......plus the more I see teenagers, the things they are going through and dealing with in the world today, and then hear stories from my SIL's that are in YW, the more I say to myself: "yep. I'm good right here." hah!
A few weeks ago it was my turn to teach Sharing Time, and the lesson was on Exodus 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy". It really got me realizing how much I was not doing this myself. All growing up my parents had separate rules we followed for Sunday. And I hate saying that word "rules", because they weren't at all but kids think of them that way-ya know? We didn't play with friends, or go swimming, or hiking or did big giant activities. We didn't watch tv, but we could watch like 1 church show/movie. We were encouraged to write in our journals, write letters to grandparents or missionaries, play board games with each other, or take a small nap. We would visit with close family and cousins which was always fun.
So for the past month I have been trying to put forth a more conscious effort on Saturday evenings to try and set up a different spirit in our home and help Bronx and Tinley be aware that we are getting ready for Sunday, because it indeed is a special day. I want them to really understand that it feels different and that we need to treat it differently than our "everyday". I've been trying to remember to turn off my regular music and play church music in the evening (and on Sunday), or just uplifting and calming music in general. I have started listening to a talk on Saturday evenings if I have some alone time (aka when I am folding the giant load of laundry on my bed) ...This all being said I totally don't want to come across like some stuck up know-it-all! Just because I grew up a certain way doing certain things meas that we do the EXACT same things now...we don't. haha. Kevin grew up different than me of course and was allowed to do different things on Sunday, and meshing and creating our own family policies (uh,or whatever you want to call them) has been part of a growing and learning process. Kevin likes to watch his football on Sunday. So he does. Do we watch movies other than church ones on Sunday, yes. Do we play with friends on Sunday, we do. But I've felt a difference in our home lately and I know that all of these little things we are doing play into that good feeling of peace on Sundays.
Hmm that all sounded a little "talkish" sorry didn't plan that! but just for kicks let me end by sharing this quote that's been sitting on my phone for a while now:


Yes please keep blogging! I feel like I'm the only one doing it and it's fine. I'm not at it for an audience but for a journal because I have zero time to sit and write one out anymore but I love being able to type up what we have been doing so I can go back and remember later.
ReplyDeleteSundays are hard. I've been trying to make our home more Sabbath Day appropriate and I failed yesterday but we will try again next week! And I was in primary for five years - FIVE YEARS - between teaching and in the presidency and when I got released I felt so lost. All I wanted was to go back to primary. Then I got called as a YW advisor and let me tell ya, I don't miss primary :) (yet, I'm sure I will once Nixon is a Sunbeam next year) and I hide out from subbing and I get asked to sub in nursery a lot and have a bad attitude about it. I think I just needed a break because our primary was so intense and I am enjoying meeting other people in our ward finally. But I sometimes do miss the simplicity of primary and the fact that it is a Sunday-only calling :I
Anyway, all my ramblings really just meant, keep it up!