Enter your keyword

Celebrating with Fireworks

July 11, 2013

Hands down this 4th of July was our best.


The best because
1. we got to celebrate it with Bronx (and it was his first, and all "baby-firsts" are special!)
and
2. we actually watched a firework show
Yeah, #2 might sound silly, 
but in all our 5 years of marriage i don't remember actually going to a show.
(yes i am mad i didn't make Kevin take me to the IF firework show-i hear it's the biggest this side of the Mississippi)
We would watch it from a distance,
or go home early (i know, what the heck?!).
And that doesn't count.

I grew up going to my great-grandparents(Christensen's//mom's side) cabin in Cascade, Idaho every fourth of July weekend.
It's what we did every year,
and I always looked forward to it.
It was a complete blast.
All of our cousins and second cousins (and who knows who else) were there.
Because there was a zillion of us,
we didn't all fit inside the cabin,
so my family would always throw up a tent outside (another reason i love camping so much).
We'd go on hikes, build forts, cook hot dogs, and roast s'mores....mmmm!
The lake was a favorite part too.
Someone always brought a boat,
and we'd rent wave-runners,
and ski and tube the day away.
That's actually where I learned to ski (and got a fair share of nasty sunburns)!
Then on the actual 4th,
we'd pack up lots of blankets and frisbees and drive over to the other side of the lake for the fireworks show.
It was always insanely packed,
and parking was nuts.
Then we'd hang out,
eat some treats,
and watch the older aunts and uncles play with the frisbee until it got dark and the fireworks started.
Those fireworks were the best.
It felt like they were right above us,
and they were gigantic!
(i remember a ton of boats in the water watching too, and i always wanted to watch the fireworks from inside one-how cool would that be?!)
Another thing I loved about this fireworks show,
was the fact that they blasted patriotic music the whole time.
That made the whole thing complete to me,
a little girl sitting on a big worn out blanket on a big grassy hill,
surrounded by family and looking up at these hugely awesome balls of fire bursting above my head in the night sky.
Nothing could beat it.

So now fast forward like 13 years.
hah.
I honestly didn't think it was going to be any different this year than the last 5,
especially since we aren't near family or our close friends,
and because Kevin worked.
But one of Kevin's awesome co-workers invited us over to BBQ with another couple,
 and light off some fireworks they bought.



Bronx was a little shocked by the noise some made,
and got a little pouty lip when one started spewing sparks all over like crazy (the only cool one-Oregon has dumb laws...).


Other than that,
he was pretty chill and just kept a why-the-heck-are-you-doing-this face on.


After we did those little fireworks,
we piled into the cars and drove to the golf course around the corner from our condo.
I was told they do a pretty cool fireworks show each year,
and anyone can come hang out on the lawn.
So of course I made Kevin promise to actually watch them and stay the whole time...

 {sorry these are all pixilated/grainy!}

...and it's a good thing I made him promise,
because it was COLD!
We couldn't believe how freezing and windy it became,
Earlier in the day it had been so hot and humid.
It was bizarre...haha, and I thought Bronx was seriously going to get a cold that's how bad it was!



Bronx was super restless and didn't want to sit,
but as soon as those fireworks began he sat motionless.
I love love loved seeing him taking it all in,
sitting on my lap with his little mouth open in awe.
He fell asleep about 10 minutes before it ended.
Hopefully someday we'll take him to see the Cascade show :)
and then him and Kevin can throw a frisbee around on the hillside.

♥    ♥    ♥

1 comment

  1. Aurdrey fun post. I loved reading about your 4th of July's growing up, they sounded awesome. And we just drove up to Cascade and McCall for the first time this last Saturday so I can picture it all. So fun. Maybe someday we can all go up there together, that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete