Enter your keyword

Rexburg Getaway

January 21, 2014

(warning: long post ahead...i didn't want to break it up into 10 like i did for Europe! haha)

Since Kevin isn't able to leave during holidays (it is really a bummer, but we are dealing with it),
we booked our flight after the craziness of Christmas.
January 9th was the start of our fun vaca to Rexburg,
and boy was it needed!
I decided I hate flying (haha, i wonder why?).
Besides our Europe flying fiasco,
the night before I always stress and get serious anxiety over how everything will go,
if our plane will blow up on us or crash,
if Bronx will scream bloody murder,
or how we will contain him for the flights (and the 3 hour layovers-BOTH ways).
I know it's ridiculous that I am stressing over this stuff.
I totally never used to!...but I do now.
Maybe it's because I have a baby...i mean toddler?!





(3 hour Denver layover...joy! haha Bronx loves to crawl on Kevin when he sleeps)

Bronx actually did fine on both flights there,
he was fascinated more than before by our takeoff and landings.
The three hour Denver layover was the killer,
which I already knew it would be.
Bronx just wants to run everywhere.
He LOVES to run away from us.
He thinks he's so funny.
(it sometimes is, and cute, but not in a gigantic airport!)
Mostly we took turns holding him in a deadlock,
distracting him with ipad movies,
or making a barrier with our carry-ons, chairs, and the windows, so he wouldn't get away.
This is the part where I really wish I had just bought one of those freaking child leash/backpack thingys.
Yeah I said it.
I'd put my kid on a leash anyday so I wouldn't have to carry a screaming/kicking/thrashing child in my arms through an airport,
but Kevin holds strong to the "kids are not dogs" policy,
and somehow thinks holding that screaming/kicking/thrashing child is better than a leash so...
He was in charge of Bronx for the most part :)




That first evening was fun seeing Bronx and his cousin Nixon play.
Bronx was doing everything I was saying like "give Nixon a hug" or "can you crawl like Nixy can?" it was pretty cute to watch.
Lins and Bird also taught us how to play a new game called Telestrations this night,
which was hilarious.


The next day (FRIDAY) got interesting when Bronx decided he hated sleeping in a pack n' play,
and climbed out.
See for yourself:



It was all downhill from there for good naptimes.
I'm all for letting my baby cry himself to sleep a few times,
if that's what it takes for him to get back into a pattern and sleep soundly.
However,
Bronx would climb out then come right up to the door and scream bloody murder nonstop.
I can only handle that so long....especially in someone else's house!
The good news is that he was OUT the second he was in his carseat,
so more than once we found ourselves hanging out in the car,
sleeping ourselves,
or eating,
or watching movies (like Frozen!) on our phones while Bronx napped.




haha.
This was hard for me because Bronx was seriously perfect at taking naps and going to bed before this trip!
Not a complaint was made from him before,
and now it's a major battle.



(Troy, Kevin, Brody, Fred, Jeremy, Charles)

This evening we went over to Charles and Nancy's house,
where some of the guys were getting together to hang out.
Nancy, Nita, and I talked upstairs :)


SATURDAY we chilled with family then went to dinner with Charles and Nancy + kids.
I didn't take any pics of us,
but the sign outside made us smile:


If you don't know why it's funny then click HERE to find out what the fox says :)

After dinner we headed back to Fuller's,
but decided to stop in at Dave and Alix's and surprise them!



SUNDAY...oh Sunday.
20 minutes before church started,
I watched Bronx throw up all over the couch.
It was just milk and luckily he was still in his pj's,
so I cleaned it up and threw him in the tub.
He was acting totally fine after (and had been before) so I dismissed it as nothing and got him dressed and we left.
We walked in 5 minutes late,
listened to some announcements,
sang a hymn,
and then just as the first sacrament prayer was being said,
Bronx threw up alllllll over himself,
the bench,
behind the bench (it waterfall-ed off the back),
and my skirt.
Kevin was like a ninja and somehow jumped the second he saw it coming.
We just stared at each other and mouthed:
"What in the heck do we do?!?"
It stunk so bad.
I shoved the wet wipes in Kevin's hands then promptly picked up Bronx (carrying him an arms length away from me),
and we walked out.
I wiped us both down,
then we waited for Kevin in the foyer.
Bronx acted nothing had happened this whole time and smiled and tried to run around (what?!).
It seemed like forever,
but Kevin finally came out and we looked in the janitor's closet for rags and some chemical to help clean up the nasty mess.
We found no rags and just window cleaner,
so we decided we had tried enough,
and left.
We did feel super bad we just ditched Kevin's parents sitting on that nasty bench...

When we got home baths were had and that was that.
We packed Sunday clothes for 20 min of church.
Awesome.
(Sunday shoes take up a ton of room people!)
When Kevin's parents got home,
they said that every time the AC kicked on it would waft that sour milk smell throughout the chapel.
Oh lovely.

(what you get when you have a toddler that throws up twice in one day and doesn't take naps)

(oh look! he finally fell asleep!)

In better news,
Bird, Lins, and I got a picture with our new matchy sweatshirts.
This is what happens when you ask your non-photo-enthusiastic-hubby to take a pic for you:


haha
So we ask someone else:

(awe fun and matchy-matchy. ha ha. we couldn't resist. $10 at walmart ladies)

MONDAY Kevin looked at snow machines with Charles,
while I took Bronx to Porters to look at fabric.


Too many cute choices.
And don't get me started on the minky.
Why does it have to be so dang expensive?!

That night we went and played games with more friends and got Jambas!



TUESDAY morning I went and had my friend Megan do my hair.
I haven't had my hair done since...June 2012! wow!
I had been going back and forth about it,
and finally decided I should.
Part of me loved the no-maintenance,
but I knew it would feel SO good to get some product in it (does that sound wierd!? haha i don't know how to explain why)!
She did an awesome job and I LOVE it!
I didn't want to go stark blond like I have been before,
so she put in some highlights and lowlights (which i've never had! love them!).
I love that girl,
and getting out of the house without Bronx was what I needed.
Some seriously good girltalk was had,
and a lot of new and exciting news was shared!

(inside Namaste, the new salon she works at in Hemming Village)


I think this was the day we discovered a link to watch Frozen online.



Bronx and I have now watched it on my phone,
the ipad,
and our TV (HDMI via laptop).
Only like 20 times.

This evening we went to see Megan again (so that Kevin and Bronx could say hi!).
She was working at Lulu Bellas,
thus the clothing store pics :)






So happy we got to meet Nolan,
and talk to Cindy and Kendra!
Afterwards,
we headed to Madison High School to meet Kevin's parents and watch the basketball game.


Bronx was a champ here the whole time.



WEDNESDAY...for some reason I don't remember what we did this day!
haha.
I have 3 photos on my phone from Wednesday...


Cousin baths are the best.


This was usually the way we put Bronx to sleep.
With a bottle,
cuddled on our lap.
I honestly don't mind the cuddling part,
but man he just NEVER was like this at home!
Oh, I think Kevin went and saw/hung out with some guy friends this afternoon?


Just driving around Charles's backyard(5 acres) in cars...
If you know Charles then this is nothing new,
especially when him and Kevin get together :)

It's all a blur now - it FELT like he was hanging out with friends 24/7.
ha ha


THURSDAY was the day Bronx learned how to open Grandma's doors.
They have the handles that come out (like an "L" shape),
making it super convenient for Bronx to grab...
lovely huh?
He also learned how to climb up onto the window ledge downstairs.


(there is a fireplace that he steps on to climb up-it's to the left and not pictured)
He would walk back and forth along here looking at the snow.
And speaking of snow...it was SO AWESOME to see so much of it!
Really it was cool to see any snow because we haven't seen lots since we moved from Rexburg :)
We never played in it because we didn't pack snow clothes,
although we were tempted to go buy new ones just for a day!

Dave and Alix came over with Vylette,
and those two babies were like two peas in a pod.

(mini Kev, mini Dave)

I love watching babies play!
We went to another Madison basketball game this night,
and had more plans with friends,
but Kevin and I both ended up getting some random stomach bug (food poisoning?) so we stayed home.


FRIDAY we were ditched.
haha JUST kidding...kind of.


Kevin's parents left for St. George (for Kenny's sibling reunion),
and Lins and Josh had left to Utah the night before.
So it was just Bird and us,
and Bird was either at school or working most of the day.

(he loved hanging out with Grandma's giant Poo Bear)

Kevin and I took turns taking naps and watching Bronx (who yes, still hadn't taken a normal nap. i don't even know where his energy came from!).
This evening Kevin left to see friends in IF (Dave, Tyler, Dylan),
and Bird babysat while I went to hang out with some girlfriends at Kiwi Loco.



(Nita, Nancy, Ali, Kristen, me)

This night I found out my dad and some siblings were coming to see us!
Which obviously made me super excited for SATURDAY.
My dad, Jaron, Elise, and Taylia arrived at noon and ate lunch with us.



Then the guys went shooting,
and the girls went shopping.
Classic.
My dad took us all out to Wingers this evening,
and we rented a movie.



Even though we got to see them for less than 24 hours,
I'm so happy they came!
They totally didn't have to,
but still did.
I'm especially happy I got to see Elise because this was the last time I'll see her before she leaves to Argentina.
She is going to make one awesome sister missionary!

(and it's crazy to think that this baby girl will be Bronx's age now, when Elise comes home!)

Our day started bright and early SUNDAY morning at 3:30am.
Our flight home was at 6am.
Bronx did not fall back asleep until our flight took off,
but thankfully he slept!
We ran into Dallin at the IF airport who was also on our flight to Denver,
so talking made the time go fast.
Especially while we waited in Denver to catch connecting flights!


The flight to Albuquerque could have gone better.
haha.
Bronx was cranky and tired and sick of being confined to our arms and laps.
But we made it and are finally back home,
already missing Idaho and our friends and family :)

1 comment

  1. Toddlers + airports = torture! Jason and I would usually take turns going up and down escalators and on all the moving sidewalks with the kiddos. Also, shoving food in their mouths continuously, pretty much. You get into this "whatever works" survival mode--at least we did. Lately our trips to see family have been in the car, so it's keeping them busy for 12+ hours in a carseat. Also not fun, but at least if they scream it's only us who's annoyed! :) Glad you guys got out to see the fam for awhile.

    ReplyDelete