Enter your keyword

Something New

May 4, 2010

I have a little story. The other week or two I got up, got all cute ( which = curling my hair. which = takes too long), I got into my sunday clothes, went to grab my temple bag, looked at my recommend, and realized to my horror.....IT'S EXPIRED! I was so mad at myself for not checking on it earlier, but that's what I get for putting off making an appointment with the Bishop. Drat.

We finally both went in last Tuesday night, and I went first.  We were coming to the end of the "interview" and the counselor says:
"Oh, there is one last thing to tell you about. We want to release you from the Activity Board and give you a new calling."
I start thinking "Oooo maybe this will be it! Finally a calling with Kevin -Like teach the sunbeams or something like that! You don't understand. I really have wanted to share a calling with Kevin since, well we've been married, and NEVER have we had that. Mostly I get callings and Kevin well..doesn't. Somehow he slips through the cracks....that lucky guy. Hahaha. But really.  ANYWAY let me continue:

"Okay..I'm excited! What is it?"
"We would like to make you our pianist."
"Um, like, for Relief Society? Or..."
"Oh no! For the ward. We would like to make your our ward organist/pianist."
"Oh! (Hehe) Of course I accept."

And for the rest of the night I felt like my stomach had dropped out of my body.  Wow. So yea, I've been a ward pianist before for my student ward-when I was single.  But the difference from then to now is THEN I knew everyone, we were all young, and I felt like no one really cared about the music (it sounds bad I know, but you get it) and NOW I play in front of a HUGE FAMILY WARD, there are old people who actually get offended when I don't play the right notes, and man, I have played the organ probably 2 times in my life. Super.

Some background: My mom started teaching me to play when I was 6. A little later we moved close to Grandma and Grandpa Simmons and it was G.Ma S. that gave me lessons and taught me the majority of what I know today. My lessons continued up until my senior year of High School. I did have two other piano teachers: Sister Rosendahl and Sister Jeppson.  They were amazing teachers as well and were real patient with me, but I can definitely say my best memories come from spending time with my Grandma Simmons.  I love her!  She was the one to introduce me to the organ, and here I am kicking myself that I didn't persue it more and learn it.

Moral of the story: 1.Don't wish for callings you might not get. And 2.Learn to play the organ NOW before it's too late.


p.s. I played my first time this past Sunday and wanted to throw up all morning before, and then all through R.S. and Sunday School (It's mean that our Sacrament has to be last). But I got through it and our Bishop was really nice and said it's totally fine that I am on the piano instead of the organ. BUT during my first song one of the counselors passes me a note that reads:

Please tell the pianist to lift the lid on the piano. I can barely hear, and I am on the front row. Thanks!

What?! I swear I was already pounding on those keys with all my might. Oh well. I really am going to learn the organ. My lesson starts Thursday. Wish me luck.


Good thing I'm not learning on this intense beast.

p.p.s. Kevin still doesn't have a calling.

7 comments

  1. Wow Audrey, that is one beasty calling. Good luck. I would have died and maybe even said no :) I know we aren't supposed to say no, but there are a few that at this point in my life, I think I would say no too :) Good luck with learning the organ, thats awesome you are going too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this blog! how fun for you to be playing the piano in sacrament meeting. I would be dying if i got that calling. good for you! I have a confession...Chris and I have been teaching the 5yr olds in primary for almost a year now. hehe We enjoy it. That's so crazy that kevin still doesn't have a calling. someday. :> I think I always knew grandma taught you but I don't think i did. if that makes any sense. haha What a neat experience and great memories i'm sure. :>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaxon never gets callings either, last semester I had two! What the hay. Good luck with your calling I'm sure you will be great. I remember when you used to play in our seminary class and I always thought to myself "man I wish I had the guts to do that" I play, but I don't have the guts and I freak out when people start singing. Don't even know what I'd do if I had to learn the organ on top of it. YOU GO GIRL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doing great!!! And you look so cute up there by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey, I bet you'll do awesome! I feel for you though. One time I had to play the piano is Sacrament meeting for the ward choir, and my hands and feet were shaking the whole time. I'm surprised I even hit any of the right notes. Good luck though! At least you have one awesome piano to practice on now. YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Audrey! I found your blog. It is so cute. I hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, great post - I am still laughing. I am Kevin's cousin (by the way) Colette and I had to be the ward organist when I was single. The memories seriously crack me up. This will be a character-building experience for you and you are going to be awesome! If someone comes up to you to let you know they "admire" you for playing the organ, take it as a compliment not as, "You are crazy up there making a fool of yourself".

    ReplyDelete