Enter your keyword

Welcoming Funch

December 28, 2016

Before I had Phoenix, Kevin and I had started talking about the possibility of getting another dog. I wan't thrilled about it, but the idea kinda grew on me each day. Especially when I would think about the possibility of Phoenix not making it. So I agreed to get one, ONLY if Phoenix passed, and ONLY if it was small and tiny. Tank (our other, first dog we had to give away when we downsized back in 2015. see that post here) was small too, but I really wanted smaller and nooooo shedding.

Kevin has been wanting a Siberian Husky forever now, and even tried to talk me into getting an Alaskan Klee Kai or Pomsky. And even though I think those dogs are so SO pretty, and would be so fun and great with the kids, and i'd even be able to run with a Husky...I stood firm in saying no to them. They shed a ton, and we have NO space right now for a big dog. Hahaha and I never want a big dog inside my house. Ever. I told Kevin we can get one when we buy and own another home with a yard (#goals...haha). We have friends that have small dogs and big dogs, and I researched and decided that what I wanted was a small yorkie/maltise mix.

One Saturday night in November, Kevin told us to load up because we were going to get a puppy. I was a little shocked it was so soon, and kinda wanted to wait longer because I know how hard a puppy is to take care of. They are a LOT of work and attention! But that was kind of the point. For me anyways. Getting a puppy to help distract me at nights, and care for, and let the kids play with. We went and looked at a brother and sister who were both freaking adorable tiny things, and ended up getting this little guy:


Now, his name. Ooooh man you guys. I feel like everyone knows this already, but for records sake, and those of you who don't know....here's the background on this puppy's name. All while I was pregnant, Bronx wanted to name the baby girl "Funch". I have no idea where he got that name, where he heard it or what, but he never stopped using it and telling us that he wanted her to be named Funch. When we finally convinced him that her name was going to be Phoenix, he would still list off our family members and include this name. "Mom, Dad, Bronx, Tinley, Phoenix, Funch..." He wouldn't let it go!

So that night after buying and getting back in the car to drive home with this new puppy (he was 7 weeks old), Kevin says: "So what's his name? What are we going to call him?" ....."FUNCH!"....and that was that. I refused to call him that name for the longest time, thinking it was soooo dumb and sounded ridiculous. But then it grew on me. And I realized, why not. Sure, is it embarrassing as heck saying it sometimes? oh yeah. And that one time we took him to the vet for a checkup, and I walk up to check in and the receptionist said: "Now who is this?"...."Funch."...."Oh! I thought there was a typo in the computer!".....facepalm and cue this background story. Yeah, it's all quite hilarious now.

Is it hard and super frustrating training him? You bet. But I guess the difference this time is that I knew what I was getting into. So really, it doesn't feel TOO bad. Like having a second child you get better with each one, right?(hah!) Although there was a week or two that I wanted to list him (I know, I know, all you animal lovers are probably hating me right now). But that passed, and I've calmed down (remember how I just had a baby and that my hormones were all whack/out of control?). Funch has actually done awesome at potty training, and rings the little bell (on a string, tied to the back kitchen door) when he needs to go. I even hear it when I am upstairs. A huge difference and stress relief for me is that we have him gated off in the kitchen only. So no accidents on the carpet.

He's about 2 lbs now and is the perfect addition to our family.








Creating a sign in book for my sister while Funch sleeps all cozied up to me.


1 comment

  1. Omg I love Funch. I love the name it's perfect. And he couldn't be cuter!

    ReplyDelete