Enter your keyword

Dramatic Moment of the Month

October 29, 2012

I guess I was due for another one.
Another what?
Oh,
just another "worst-mom-on-the-planet" moment.
Ha.
But really it wasn't funny at the time,
and I am only recording it now because my sweet neighbor convinced me that it will indeed be humorous in a few years.

One of the most annoying things about my parent's new home is their doorknobs.
(and hey-no offense mom and dad if you're reading this)
Their knobs are the kind that,
when locked,
can turn on the inside but not on the outside.
I have accidentally locked myself out one too many times because of this.
Because I thought the door was unlocked...because the handle turned for me.
Well that's exactly how our front doorknob is,
and the other day Tank had to do his daily "business",
so I went out with him.
He finished and we turned to go back inside...and couldn't.

Oh my gosh.
I now know what that "mother-bear-i will-kill-to-save-my-baby" feeling,
feels like.
I had a mini panic attack and tried to use my super-human momma strength to tear the doorknob from the door.
It didn't work.
I then frantically went to the window, located next to the door, and tore the screen from it's frame,
desperately trying to open the window.
Of course it was locked (because I'm a freak like that and don't open windows).
At this point I can hear him screeching and crying,
and I'm just glad that I put him on his back before I took Tank out,
and didn't leave him on his tummy.
I tried to talk to him through the door,
but realized that was pointless.
I had left my phone and my keys inside (because who needs those when you go 10 feet from your home to give your dog some relief?!).
So I rushed back down my stairs and across to my neighbor, Margaret's, home.
I had met Margaret the previous day,
and she had seemed super nice.
(she had told me she was 93 years old-wowzer, huh?)!
Anyways,
so I went and knocked on her door and as soon as she answered,
I burst into tears; my meltdown had begun.
Haha.
I'm surprised she even understood what was going on when I asked if I could use her phone to call my husband,
between giant sobs.
She was so sweet and went immediately to grab her phone,
invited me inside,
and even held Tank while I called.

The best thing about Kevin's work here is that it's right down the street,
within 5 minutes from our place.
He came quick.
And I was once again reunited with my sweet baby boy.
I scooped his sad little self off the floor, 
held him tight, 
and just bawled.
Kevin gave us kisses.
laughed and told me it was okay,
and then went back to work.

All very traumatic I tell you.
I have yet to fully close our door when I take Tank out during the day.
And I always take either my phone or my keys in my pocket.
Just in case...ya know?

Photobucket

4 comments

  1. Oh my heck! I would have bawled too! I'm sure he was just fine, but that WOULD be traumatic! I almost locked Denym in the car once and had a moment of PANIC - I am sure I would have FREAKED had it actually happened. Glad you documented this :) And as always, Bronx is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same annoying doorknobs! I hate them. I did the same thing just a few weeks ago while my husband was out of town on a business trip. My hidden key turned out to be cut wrong and didn't work. Luckily I had scooped up my phone and had it in my pocket so I call the locksmith. Longest 20 minutes of my life and $45 later I rescued my one year old who I thought for sure would get into something or swallow something while I was locked out with my toddler. Turns out she was just sitting on the other side of the door waiting patiently! The things we go through as mothers. It is the most rewarding but also challenging job. You are not a bad mother for locking yourself out. When this happened to me I got so mad I said s$#@ in front of my two year old. It just slipped out I was so frustrated! My son now uses that awful word on occasion when he gets mad :( Your little guy is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the worst feeling! We have the same type of knobs--and the one that goes out to our garage is that way too. One time I went to get something from the garage, not knowing that it was locked (we never lock that one usually), and found myself locked out. I didn't even have shoes on! Both kids were inside (this was before baby Adam came). I did have my phone in my pocket. Same thing--Jason ran home from work, also 5 mins away--and saved the day. All good right? Except I locked all of us out AGAIN like 3 days later (me + kids)... now I'm pretty much OCD about having keys with me. I suppose we should just hide one outside, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh what a good mommy you are Audrey. Not going to lie, this story was kind of humorous, though at the time I can see why you panicked. All is well!

    ReplyDelete