Enter your keyword

Resolutions? What Are Those?

January 2, 2012

Our new year's eve was great.
Low key,
but great.
Kevin and I hung out with Josh and Lins and tried to go to dinner.
I say "tried" because every place we chose was close:
Costa Vida...closed.
DQ....closed.
Taco Time....closed.
Wendy's....closed.
{Rexburg doesn't have many options to begin with, okay?}

Photobucket

So we ate dinner at Artic Circle.
Haha,
I don't remember eating there since high school - but it was good!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we went and saw New Year's Eve,
and headed over to the Eaton's for a little friend party.

Photobucket

We counted down the clock and kissed,
and resolved to make this year better than the last.
p.s.
This year's gonna be freakin' fantastic you guys.
Just sayin.


Now this is where I write down all my goals,
and lists,
and display them so that I'll be more motivated to fulfill them,
right?

Well not this time.
I guess you could say I was inspired by my Grandpa Huber this year.
My Grandma and Grandpa Huber are leaving to go on their second mission,
and so they spoke this last Sunday.
Because we didn't get to go{bummer!},
my mom emailed me about it.
I loved it so much that would like to share some parts of that email with you now:
{i highlighted my favorite parts}

Grandma spoke about how she often makes lists, but finds herself getting distracted as she “flits” from project to project. Staying up late at night has been her trademark as she feels like this is the only time that she can focus and accomplish anything – when the house is quiet and everyone else is in bed. While on their mission in Ireland, Grandma said that a visiting general authority had encouraged the missionaries to take notes when listening to speakers, but to draw a line about a third of the way across the page. On the left side of the line you take notes from the speaker, but on the right side of the line, you write notes of impressions that you receive as you listen to the speaker. This practice has helped my mom to recognize promptings from the spirit. Grandma Huber also mentioned that she has a hard time focusing as she prays – her mind wanders – and she finds herself apologizing to Heavenly Father and starting her prayer over. This same general authority (I think his name was Paul Johnson, from one of the quorums of the seventies) recommended having a notebook nearby as you pray to write impressions that you receive as you pray. Grandma started doing this and found often her “mind wanderings” weren’t really wanderings, but impressions that she was receiving from the Holy Ghost. Writing these things down helps her to remember and act upon the promptings.
Grandpa said that he was assigned to speak about goal setting and New Year’s resolutions, but didn’t really believe in either of them. (Yes, I think we were all shocked to hear him say this over the pulpit). He said that years ago he had made up his mind that he really only needed to set one goal, and that was: “I just want to be good.” Over the years he has watched people make New Year’s resolutions, only to break them a few days later, and most of the time people set goals to do things that they should be doing anyway. Grandpa mentioned that as he was preparing for his talk, Amy encouraged him to read Elder Ballard’s quote in Preach My Gospel about goal setting. The quote goes something along the lines of: if you don’t set goals along your way you will find that when you get to a ripe old age you will look back on your life with regret at not reaching your full potential. Well, Grandpa just stated flat out that he didn’t really agree with Elder Ballard on this matter, and that he has reached a ripe old age and has no interest in going back in life to try to do things differently. He then quoted a couple of inspiring thoughts:
1.    You will no more become a car by sitting in the garage than you will become a Christian by sitting in church. (not sure who said this)
2.    I set a goal to daily read one chapter from each of the books of scripture during the New Year, and I succeeded…for one day. (stated my Pres. Hinckley’s wife, Marjory Hinckley)
3.    You don’t have to set big, fancy goals to help you read your scriptures. If you can only read one scripture a day, do it. You will find that the effect is cumulative. (stated by Julie B. Beck)


So that's my plan so far:
I just want to be good.
Better than I have been in all aspects of my life:
Spiritual,
Social,
Physical,
and
Educational.

2 comments

  1. I love this post! Totally feel the same way. I just want to be a better mom/wife/person, the end. I'll make little goals along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the Sister Beck quote. My goal this year is simply to read my scriptures EVERY SINGLE DAY. If that's for a minute or 10. Just not skipping any days for any reason. Cumulative effect is what I'm going for, I guess!

    ReplyDelete