One of my least favorite things to do is answer the question:
"And Audrey, where do you work?"
Because when I answer with a hardware store name name, I get...
"Oh really?? I bet that's....fun for you...."
Huh?
Yes. Actually, I enjoy working in a hardware store. I CAN be more than just "girly". I even bet I could fix more things than you. And by the way, it's not all about tools.
Of course I don't say anything like that at all. Instead I just laugh it off....
Okay, venting done.
I'm getting off track, and away from the real reason I am writing.
These past couple months at work have given me reason to smile.
Maybe it's because people dont usually recognize me (usually it's Kevin. I swear everyone and their dog knows his family).
But whatever the reason, let me tell you about why I am smiling.
STORY 1
This happened about a year ago. I was running the register up front and an older gentleman came to check out. While I'm ringing up his items, this is how the conversation went:
me - "Hi! How are you today?"
gentleman - "Just pluggin' along. You goin' to school here?"
me - "Not anymore...I used to though."
gentleman - "Are you from here?"
me - "I am now, but I'm originally from the Boise area."
{I gave up saying Meridian because peeps don't seem to recognize that place unless I mention Boise first}
Now, I usually hate when people ask me that question cuz I automatically think
CREEPER.
And so when he asked the next question I was thinking - Dude, you're invading my personal bubble.
gentleman - "What's your dad's name?"
me - "uh, Lane...Simmons...."
gentleman - "I knew it! You look like him ya know. I thought you looked like a Simmons!"
Whew. Not a creeper I guess.
Whew. Not a creeper I guess.
Turns out, his name is Kevin Flannery, and he was one of my dad's good friends growing up.
What the?!
Small world moment.
He told me how they would ride dirt bikes together, and that my dad's nicname was
ZIMO.
Hmm, good blackmail?
Just kidding Dad!
STORY 2
I'm at the register when an older fella comes to checkout. He's super nice and we start talking and then he asks:
"Where are you from then?"
me - "The Boise/Meridian area."
fella - "Oh yea? Who are your parents?"
Here we go again.
me - "Lane and LeAnn Simmons."
fella - "I thought so! I'm Shawn Perkins, your dad and I were buddies in grad school. You were probably about this big (indicates hight with hand about 2 feet from ground) last time we saw you!"
And then I recognized him from the family Christmas cards they would send each year.
Something about my Simmons blood must let people recognize me...
STORY 3
"Where are you from then?"
me - "The Boise/Meridian area."
fella - "Oh yea? Who are your parents?"
Here we go again.
me - "Lane and LeAnn Simmons."
fella - "I thought so! I'm Shawn Perkins, your dad and I were buddies in grad school. You were probably about this big (indicates hight with hand about 2 feet from ground) last time we saw you!"
And then I recognized him from the family Christmas cards they would send each year.
Something about my Simmons blood must let people recognize me...
STORY 3
This is the best one.
It happened about a month ago, and again I was up at the register. Well, this friendly couple comes to checkout. They're talkative and nice. I ring them up and as they are walking out the door, they start talking just low enought so that I can't hear. Suddenly the wife spins back around and comes right up to me and says:
lady - "This might sound weird, but I just have to ask...are you a Simmons?"
When I told her yes she got all excited.
lady - "And is Lane your dad?"
Yea.
lady - "I knew it! We thought you were just SO NICE and SMILEY, and we said 'She has got to be a Simmons - she just looks like a Simmons'!"
And then they went on to tell me how Jim Stark (the lady{Kelly Stark}'s husband) grew up with my dad! They went on to say how they think Robert and Elzada (my Grandparents) are the cutest couple ever. They even told me that in their Sunday marriage class they use these two as examples for the phrase
"Opposites Attract."
How Elzada was always so "refined"...
...whereas Robert was always so "rough and toughin' it outdoors".
{Grandma and her sister, Marilyn}
...whereas Robert was always so "rough and toughin' it outdoors".
{Grandpa far right and friends}
But Elzada would still go camping, and Robert would still help with dishes.
{Arn't they stinkin' adorable?!}
When I told my dad about each story, he laughed and got a kick out of hearing his old nickname.
..........
It's fun for me to imagine my parents as kids.
Kinda weird, but enlightening.
I think it helps me understand where they've been and who they are now.
All in all I have to say I'm proud to be a
Simmons.
Nice and Smiley.



Holy crap Audrey. I would be proud too! what better reputation can you get than nice and smiley? All those stories are awesome. I especially love the ones about your grandparents that's adorable, they are way cute.
ReplyDeletehahaha you are nice and smiley! and your dad looks just like jaron!! I love your grandparents! They are so nice! I like the refined & rugged story. fun!
ReplyDeleteOk, I got a tear in my eye reading this! (And I swear I'm not pregnant!) What an adorable blog entry! Thanks for sharing... I loved reading every bit of it!
ReplyDeleteAudge,
ReplyDeleteI loved those stories and I loved that whole post. Good for you, and I would be proud of your fam too, that is awesome.
Did you know my fam knows the Starks. Heck, I even used to babysit for them when I was younger. Cute Post! Keep it up.
What the heck? That's crazy!
ReplyDeleteHow cute. I love the pictures of Grandma and Grandpa in their younger days. I think she looks like my mom in the picture with Marilyn.
ReplyDelete