Uh, no.
I am not announcing anything right now.
(dangit, right?)
People on both sides of our families have noted that we don't have any chillin's of our own yet,
and I would like to talk about this subject of babies.
(I will even throw in some pictures to make it not so boring. woot!)
I would like to stop here and remind you that these are completely my thoughts and opinions,
and I don't mean to offend anyone whatsoever by sharing them.
And if I do...well then, I hope you can forgive me.
It's true.
The husband and I have been married 2 years, 8 months, and 1 day.
And we have 0 kids.
Oh the question of why.
Back in the day when I religiously attended the abs class on campus, I saw a familiar face from high school and started chatting.
She was actually a friend of my brother's, but I like to call his friends my friends
(and hopefully they think the same of me).
As we layed out our blue yoga mats our conversation went something like this:
friend - "I heard you got married! Congratulations!"
me - "Thanks!"
friend - "So how long have you been married?"
me - "About a year and a half."
friend - "Wow! That's crazy! Any kids?"
me - "Uh, (little laugh) not yet."
friend - "I can't believe you've been married that long and DON'T have any kids."
me - "Yea, but I'm okay with it. He's still in school and I'm working..."
friend - "But you know that one commandment to 'multiply and replenish the earth'?"
Oh NO you DI'INT just pull that card on me.
I am going to use the "H" word here, so please excuse my language.
But MAN, do I HATE living in this college community where, if you don't pop out a baby within 10 months of being married you are considered:
weird, infertile, or heaven forbid "going against church standards".
Really?
Can't I just have some time with my hubby before I give up my life to my children?
I'm not saying my life will be "over" when I have kids, but c'mon, it's definitely not the same.
We've loved getting to know each other the past couple years, and to be quite frank,
both of us have had a lot of growing up to do.
How can we handle a kid when we still feel like kids ourselves?
Don't answer that.
Or do, and leave me a comment about it.
I will admit I didn't always have this state of mind.
Being the oldest, I often got told to "stop being a mother hen!"
Growing up I always fantasized about getting married, and having a baby.
That's just how it went.
Baby this, baby that.
And for a short 2 months after Kevin and I got married that's what I was like (torture in a way).
HA.
It didn't help that we were out selling alarms with, like, 20 other couples that all seemed to have "just had" a baby. And every single one was stinkin' cute.
But as time went on and I re-evaluated myself (and had lots of heated debates discussions with Kevin on the subject), my mind gradually took on a better outlook for our situation.
I can honestly say that I'm totally scared out of my mind to have a baby.
Thoughts start flooding in like how do I survive labor? what if the baby is allergic to something? what if he/she is a thumb-sucker? what's the best way to potty train? how in the heck do I deal with a teenager? what if they do drugs? Seriously. How can I even come close to raising a child as good as my parents raised me?
And I feel like they did a superb job.
In all seriousness, yes, I am scared of getting fat and having all those sweet hormones of mine go bazerk.
Zits, puffy face, swollen feet, uncontrollable emotions, and throwing up?
No thank you.
Lucky for me I have an awesome mom who I can talk to about all this stuff, and she always reminds me that there is a beauty that comes from bringing a child into the world, which makes all those things up there seem insignificant.
I know I'm just going to have to swallow my pride and deal with them when the time comes.
And hey, I'm not totally heartless.
Every single time I hear that some one's prego (whether a close friend, or a friend of a friend)
I always always get a stab of jealously and wish that it was me announcing the exciting news.
Someday, my friends. Someday.
For now I will enjoy this time with the hubs and savor the attention he gives me.
..........
For the Record.
Now that I'm kind of off my soap box I need to add these little tid-bits in.
- I want my kids all about 2 years apart.
- Kevin is excellent with children.
- He has expressed numerous times how fun it will be to have our own kids someday.
- I used to want 6 or 7 kids total, but the more scared I get, the more that number diminishes
- (right now it's at a total of 5).
- Kevin wants 10 kids.
- If I get lucky, by 2012 we might be parents (but please don't hold your breath).



Dude amen to everything you just said. I think that every couple has their own timeline. Admittedly I WAS one of those people that thought holy cow you've been married for a year and you're not prego? But guess what I wasn't married then. And when I got married the reality of that actually sank in. After a year and a half of marriage I knew I was still not ready. I think that having time with my husband was not only great but so important for our marriage. Maybe some people don't need that, but I can't think of any better way.
ReplyDeleteMy other goal was to finish school, I had to. I knew if I didn't finish before kids I'd never finish and that was the last thing I wanted. I also didn't want to be on welfare when I did have a kid. It's very important to me to be stable. So if people ever judged me I told them to shut it haha. Seriously I did. Luckily I didn't have that problem very often.
I think you are awesome and when the time comes you will be the best baby mama ever! Taking your time is a-ok in my Mormon book.
Everyone has their own time line when it comes to kids. What's most important is that we are trying, as best as we can, to figure out what the Lord's time line is for us, and have faith to follow His plan. The timing for us is absolutely perfect. And we didn't plan it ourselves... Heavenly Father did! And guess what?? He definitely did NOT think it was a good idea to have a baby right off the bat (trust me, I asked OVER and OVER and OVER again :) ) I'm still scared, I hate what's happening to my body, I have no idea how I'm going to raise a child, but hey... when it's time, it's time, right? :)
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that's how you felt because I enjoyed reading it. These girls are right nobody can tell you when you are supposed to have a baby. You do things on your own time but also on the lords. You and Kevin will have it all worked out. To be honest with you I seriously dont believe there is a GOOD time to have a baby. This is my personal opinion but I think when you have a baby things kind of come naturally. And you can never be fully prepared for a child. I have a 1 year old and I'm still not prepared everyday is different! Every child is different and we just do our best in every way. Lots of love. And about pregnancy your mom is so right. Having a baby changes everything but I bet most people you ask would say they wouldn't go back. Being a mother is one of the greatest blessings.
ReplyDeleteDon't let people freak you out about pregnancy. No one pregnancy is the same. I never got sick or had any problems. I've lost all my weight since it seems to be that you are very much into working out you will have bo problem either. It's possible. And delivery? It's new for everyone but we have doctors and technology and mothers of our own. You could do it and when you do you just take it one day at a time. you and Kevin will be great parents! Love ya! You do it on your own time girly!
HAha you are so cute. I DID get prego right after I got married (oops) and wouldn't change it for the world. But I think if that beautiful accident wouldn't have happened we would have waited a long time. It is such a personal decision and shouldn't be brought on because your friends are having babies. You will have babies when you are both ready. So don't stress over it or worry about it, it will happen when it's supposed to and it will be great when it does.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much you guys. I seriously love all these thoughts! You guys are the BEST!
ReplyDeleteI am so with you! People just need to mind their own business and when they don't, just remember that it's your life, not theirs! We decided to wait until we were both done with school until we had kids and had been married almost 5 years before we had Avalynn!
ReplyDeleteMy friend got sick of everyone asking her when she was going to have a baby so she just told them that they were trying to get pregnant every night. (Funny huh?) People stopped asking her pretty quickly.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. Most of us are too scared to ever admit our feelings like this. I think something that no one ever told me is that being a "good mommy" doesn't come naturally for everyone. It is definitely something I work on every day of my life! Even though it is harder than heck, I sure love and cherish those little moments (like this morning when my older boy jumped in my younger boy's crib and they laughed and played in there for a long time.)
ReplyDeleteOne more thing: When we got married we wanted 12 kids. Then I taught school, and we decided 8 kids. Then I had 1 kid, we thought 4 would be a good number. Now we have 2, and I think 2 might be just fine! :)
i feel so passionately about this subject that I am emailing you! Where can I email you at? I just have your cinnamon_stix email, but I'm guessing that's an old one. You can comment me or just email chantel.ockerman@gmail.com
ReplyDelete